Parks and Recreation
What We Do
The Parks and Recreation Department enhances residents’ quality of life through providing affordable, quality recreational and leisure activities for youth, teens, and adults. The division is responsible for the development, implementation, coordination, supervision, and delivery of a wide variety of programs including youth and adult sports, instructional classes, teen programs, day camps and special events. Allocations of sports fields and reservations of park picnic shelters as well as rental of the Community Center, Senior Center, Park Buildings and meeting rooms and the processing of Special Events Permits are also handled through the department.
Parks and Recreation Master Plan
CITY OF BANNING PARKS AND RECREATION COVID-19 UPDATE
I wanted to send out an update as there are a great deal of changes to our current programs and services and as you are aware, the circumstances and health orders are ever changing but as of now, the following is the most current update.
The Senior Center and Community Center is currently closed like all of our public facilities and programming has been suspended or canceled indefinitely. It is expected that this could be the case until April 30th or later. We are communicating daily through emails, phone and social media with our patrons.
Most of our full time staff are working from home and we have staff members that are answering phone calls directed to the Senior Center, community Center or Transit during our regular working hours.
Some programmatic updates:
- Daily Meal program - The Senior Center is closed and all social programs and activities at the Center have been canceled. We are still providing daily meals for Seniors through Food Service Association(FSA). FSA will be providing meal packages one day a week; Next week, the pickup day will be on Wednesday between 11am and 1pm. Regular attending seniors will be able to pick up 5 days worth of prepared frozen meals, milk, bread and possibly fruit each week.
- Fill the Cupboard Food Pantry- We also have a food pantry where we can provide a bag of non-perishable food to those seniors in need as well. This program is available on Monday and Wednesdays from 9:30 am to 11:30 am. We are accepting donations to the food pantry at this time but this is only done through appointments – those interested in donations can call our Senior Center number (951) 922-3250 to schedule a drop off time.
- Daily Greeter program – Our staff is calling our regular attendees every day or other day and checking on them and connecting them with needed services when asked and possible. The staff was able to contact 44 Seniors Wednesday, 42 seniors on Thursday and the impact has been substantial as they appreciate the interaction and we have been able to connect them to social services and churches to aid in some of their needs.
- We are working on potential for live interaction via Facebook with the Seniors and hope to put something in place next week
- We have canceled all classes for March and April as well as our sports programs, Youth Soccer and Smart Start peewee sports. We will be able to reschedule the pee wee sports program whenever we are released from the health orders but youth soccer will more than likely not be offered again until next spring. We are looking to start again with classes in May and hopefully we will be able to offer at least one soccer camp in the summer or late spring.
- We started posting activities for kids on Facebook beginning yesterday and we will be posting daily activities and interactive ideas to communicate with our citizens and offer some interaction during our closure. We are looking at working with our instructors to create content and perhaps offer free instructor classes as well. We should have an update on this next week or two.
- We have canceled all of our large scale events scheduled thru April 30th.
Little League and Banning United Soccer
- Little League has postponed all activities until at least May 11th
- Banning United Youth Soccer has suspended their program through April 30th
Parks and Facilities
- All Facility rentals indoor and outdoor scheduled for the month of March or April have been canceled and we are not taking new reservations until the situation changes.
- With the Governor’s order last night to have Californian’s stay at home, we have closed the bathrooms in our parks. Our park’s staff are making daily inspections of the parks and will be ensuring there are no safety issues and reporting as necessary.
I will continue to send out updates to ensure you are apprised of our operations and when there are changes to the situation.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will be providing regular updates on the Department’s Facebook page as well. Facebook.com/banningparksandrecreaction
If you have any questions regarding this update or anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Ralph Wright, CPRP
Parks and Recreation Director